Maricopa PuebloMaricopa pottery is recognized by its distinctive high polished dark red body, thick walls with sparing designs of black bands around the mid-body and neck.
Traditional name: Maricopa is derived from the Spanish word Mariposa, meaning butterfly, which their painted faces resembled. Located near Phoenix, Arizona, the Maricopa lived in small groups along the lower Gila and Salt River banks. In the 1830’s, two large bands; the Xalychidom Piipaash, along the Salt River and Pee Posh along the Gila River united to form the Maricopa Pueblo.
“Maricopa pottery has looked about the same from the mid-nineteenth century. In Dirt for Making Things, Janet Stoppelmann and Mary Fernald tell of a thousand-piece Maricopa pottery collection gathered between 1885 and 1912 and acquired by two Phoenix museums, the Heard and the Pueblo Grande, in 1938.”- Southwestern Pottery Anasazi to Zuni, Second Edition, Revised and Expanded by Allen Hayes & John Blom, 2015.
Maricopa pottery is recognized by its distinctive high polished dark red body and thick walls with sparing designs of black bands around the mid-body and neck. Black on cream pottery is also common to the Maricopa Pueblo. The pottery is traditionally formed using the paddle and anvil method. Temper is added to utilitarian cookware pottery while non-tempered clay is used for decorative pottery, resulting in thick walls.