Kewa (Santo Domingo) PuebloKewa pottery is the most traditional and conservative of all the pueblos. Kiua and Santo Domingo Polychrome are two distinctive and prominent pottery styles produced since the late 1800's.
Traditional name: Spanish conquistadores named the pueblo as Santo Domingo in the 17th century. The local name in their Keres language has always been Kewa. In 2009, the pueblo officially changed its name to Kewa Pueblo.
The Kewa Pueblo is located twenty-five miles southwest of Santa Fe, New Mexico between the Cochiti and San Felipe Pueblos. Today, Kewa is better known for their beautiful jewelry rather than pottery. However, Kewa was once the leading pueblo in pottery making from 1870 to 1910.
Kewa pottery is the most traditional and conservative of all the pueblos. The designs and techniques remain unchanged for centuries. Kiua Polychrome and Santo Domingo Polychrome are two distinctive and prominent pottery styles produced since the late 1800’s. Kewa potters still use natural red, black and off white slips on a buff clay body applied with yucca-fiber brushes and fire the pieces outdoors. Popular Kewa motifs include polychrome flowers, birds, leaves, animals and other geometric shapes that play with negative space. Pottery from Kewa has thicker walls than pots made by the other pueblos and tends to be much heavier than Acoma and Zuni pottery.